Skip to main content

A Day in the Life of a Nurse



5:50-8:45

4:45 a.m. The alarm is vibrating my phone off the night stand.  Tired from the previous day, since I worked a 16 hour shift, I do what many other nurses do, I get up and go to work anyway.  Arriving at work, it's 5:50 a.m., and I am told that my patient in room 202 is not being cooperative. Then, the screaming started from my less than happy patient.  I faced the music or the patient in this case.  He informed me he was not being treated well, and he needed pain medications.  I agreed to check his chart regarding medication times, and he referred to me in no so nice terms and told me not to come back without pain medication.  I left his room and was immediately called to room 216.  An elderly woman, that was very kind and followed her doctor's instructions exactly, had a bowel movement after 5 days of no activity.  The problem was, she did not make it to the restroom.  Because of the patient’s lack of mobility, I stayed and helped the nursing assistants to clean her up.  Leaving room 216 I received an urgent call to room 220.  A patient that was admitted on my previous shift was not doing very well, and after a quick assessment and call to her physician, it was decided she would be moved to ICU.  As I was explaining to the patient, she took my hand and asks, “Am I going to die?”  I took a deep breath, and reminded myself that while I was on a normal hectic course, the patient in this bed was frightened, and needed some comfort.  I stopped everything to talk with the patient, and explain the process of her moving to ICU.  15 minutes later I left the patient's room as she was moved to ICU. 


Then, I was on to room 225, where I met a new patient that required an intake assessment.  25 minutes later I was summoned back to room 202, and to my very unhappy patient.  He had thrown a tray of food on the floor, and as I stepped in the door, I slid on an assortment of eggs and applesauce.  No big deal, I picked myself up off the floor, went and changed scrubs and returned to his room to hear how he was being ignored.  I stayed with the patient, checked vitals, etc.  I was then called to the nurses’ station for a call from this patient's insurance company.   After being told he had to be released that day, I went back to his room to inform him. 

8:45-12:00

At 9:00 I finally got a chance to put my things from home away, including my lunch.  Between 9:00 and 12:00, I accomplished the following:

  • Accompanied 3 physicians on their rounds
  • Provided release instructions to one very unhappy patient, who took the paperwork I provided him, shredded it and threw it on the floor.
  • Inserted a catheter into a very obese patient, who was quite embarrassed when she passed an enormous amount of gas literally right in my face. 
  •  After assuring the patient with a severe case of the vapors, that as a nurse, I'd seen it all, heard it all, and she should not be embarrassed, I was informed by her,  that a family member had surprised her the previous night by bringing in a huge platter of Mexican food, which included refried beans.  After explaining to her that she was to be on a bland diet for her gall bladder, I left her room only to meet her family in the hall, carrying a bucket of fried chicken to her room.  At this time, a little education and redirection was in order, which took another 20 minutes.
  • I then inserted an IV into a patient whose veins had literally collapsed, so a call to his doctor was in order.
  • Two more sets of release instructions were delivered and explained, medications were administered, and one patient required CPR prior to being transferred to ICU. 
  •  One of my patient's with a very congenial personality offered me a sip of the vodka he had in his bag, so I spent some time with this patient in liver failure, explaining how imperative it was that he follow doctor's orders, and hospital rules.  As I finished up recording on his chart, the overpowering odor of his freshly lit cigarette took me by surprise, sort of. Again, another reminder regarding hospital rules, and his physician's orders. 
  • More medication rounds, several IV’s, and 2 successful tube removals, it was finally lunch time.

12:45-3:00

I admitted another 3 patient's to my area, one of whom insisted they had Ebola, even though the tests confirmed it negative, and they had not been out of the country, or had exposure.  The patient eventually accepted the diagnosis of an intestinal virus, only to then decide they actually had bird flu, which the physician assured them they did not have.  The patient refused to eat the lunch she received due to the fact it contained chicken, and she felt it was not right to eat the chicken when she was certain of her own diagnosis of bird flu.  I special ordered her a grilled cheese sandwich and ran on to the next patient.  Releasing a patient and providing instructions to them and their family took a few minutes, followed by my patient that was in severe pain, and sent down for emergency stomach surgery, I called and explained what was happening to her very concerned husband.  I then answered 2 called from insurers and 1 call from a physician before my 2:45 break time.

3:00-6:00

I was lucky enough to have a 99 year old patient that still had a great sense of humor, and entertained myself and several nursing assistants and other hospital staff.  I provided admission assessments for 2 more patients, did afternoon med rounds, and had 2 emergencies that involved transferring the patient's to other units. 

As my shift came to a close, I went to say goodbye to my 99 year old patient that had assumed the role of comedian, only to find him not doing well.  After following protocol, and verifying DNR orders, my patient passed away, but not before reminding me he had no regrets in life, and was ready to “move on” as he put it. 

At 6:30 p.m. I got in my car, and took a deep breath, and remembered what my patient that passed away had said earlier in the day, “one of the benefits of being 99 is you can pinch a woman on the bottom, and she will laugh it off--hey, I'm an old man.”  A tear followed by a smile, I drove out of the parking lot, being thankful for my job, and the ability to be a nurse. 


Please follow us on Facebook, Linkedin, Pinterest  and Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As a Nursing Student, what Extracurricular Activities are Beneficial?

We already had our time to treat the immense demanding curricula a nursing school provides. Nursing students are often familiarized with it at the very beginning of their journey. Information usually being provided is strictly covering what the school curricula involve. It does not provide hints on possible courses or extracurricular activities a nurse-to-be has to follow in order to get the most of his/her studying years. A nursing student might consider going for a nurse related extracurricular activity that will be efficient in terms of time management. What might count as a productive extracurricular activity for a nursing student? o      Initiating one or more community service projects o      Job shadowing o      Volunteer   Why should one consider these extracurricular activities once he or she is studying to become a nurse? Well, first of all, nursing requires a lot of good will and dedication. It is that kind of profession you need to put all your physic

Where do Registered Nurses Work?

Registered nurses are needed far and wide, and there dispersal amongst various facilities is illuminating.   Commonly, you associate nurses with hospitals, but their expertise is needed in a plethora of environments.   An overwhelming amount of nurses, (60% to be exact) operate in hospitals.   Comparing this percentage to the mere 5% working in nursing homes, RN’s have disseminated into non-governmental and EDU positions, as well as employment facilities and doctor’s offices.    Related : 2016 INTERNATIONAL NURSES ASSOCIATION (INA) SCHOLARSHIP AWARD Visit www.nurseadvisormagazine.com for more information on nursing. R elated : Top Nurse with the International Nurses Association, Steven Eric Southerland, RN, BSN, AAS, EMT-P to Publish in the Worldwide Leaders in Healthcare Please follow us on Facebook , Linkedin , Pinterest , Twitter

Positive and Negative of Dental Implants

Dental implants are very popular today. They are the preferred choice by many when natural teeth are missing.   Commercials make dental implants sound very simple, and as if they always work, but everyone should know the facts prior to considering implants. As a nurse, you may encounter a patient who is interested in dental implants, whether it is because of an accident or for cosmetic reasons. The Positive of Dental Implants Dental implants can, and often do work out well for someone missing teeth.   They look natural, and unlike dentures, they are permanent, and do not have to be removed nightly.    Dentures can fit improperly at times, and that is not an issue with implants.   There are some great advantages to dental implants. Related: What is Epilepsy? What are the Symptoms of Epilepsy? The Negative of Dental Implants First of all, there is really no guarantee that the implant will take, many people are, told there is a 50/50 chance.   That is a pretty costly chan