Skip to main content

A Patient's Perspective



As nurses, sometimes we forget what it is like to not have a routine.  As a nurse, we run from room to room, doing routine procedures, and doing what is in the best interest for the care of our patients.  This obviously works, as nurses take care of a multitude of patients every year, and do a good job.  On occasion, do you ever wish you could see things from the eyes of a patient?  How do they feel, how do they see the nurses? 

Patient A

Patient A was admitted at 11:45 pm after spending 6 hours in the emergency department.  She had a severe headache, and was dizzy, unable to walk without holding something to maintain her balance.  At 53 years of age, doctors wanted to be sure she had not suffered from a stroke.  Patient A had been under the weather with a cold, and she was pretty sure her conditions were from that, however, her husband and doctors wanted to rule out something more serious.  Patient A was rolled into her room, and her stay began. 
  

Patient A describes her stay- I was exhausted, all of those hours in the ER, pain meds, and still in pain, I just wanted to sleep.  I got into the room around midnight, and was in bed about 10 minutes when my nurse came to do an intake.  35 minutes later my nurse finished, and I laid down to go to sleep.  I just drifted off, and in come a lab technician to draw blood.  A half of an hour later I was just about asleep, when my nurse came to check my vital signs.  As she was leaving the room, she was very kind, asking if she could get me anything.  I was tired, grumpy, and in pain, so I answered, yes, sleep.  An hour later, my IV bag was empty and the beeping began.  That was taken care of, but 30 minutes later it was time for another vitals check.  My whole night went on like this.  Of course I understand they have to do their job, and everyone was super nice, so I could not complain on that note, but I am exhausted.  Morning came pretty early, and I felt better, still slightly dizzy; however I expected to be released.  A doctor came by and told me I needed an MRI.  I’ve never been sick much, and I was pretty sure I did not want an MRI.  I questioned the doctor, what is an MRI anyway.  I was sorry I asked, I got a very lengthy technical explanation, and I still had no idea was I was in for.  Thankfully, my nurse came in right after the doctor.  I asked her about the MRI, and she explained it all to me in terms I could understand.  All turned out well, no abnormalities on the MRI, and I was released later that day.  After spending the night in the hospital, I learned a couple things, number one, don’t expect to get a lot of sleep, and number two, thank God for nurses.

Patient B describes his stay- I went in for knee surgery, and I was not a happy camper.  I was irritable, actually downright mean.  The second day I was there I came to a conclusion, nurses are saints.  I’d be rude, and uncooperative, and the three nurses I had would be kind, maybe they were trying to kill me with kindness, I don’t know, but they treated me as if I was the sweetest guy they’d ever met.  I finally gave up the attitude, and started to appreciate the care I was receiving.  During my 4 day stay, I saw the doctor about 20 minutes in total, but those nurses were literally with me 24/7, for anything I needed, no matter how small.  I still don’t like hospitals, but I can't say enough good things about nurses.  


These were from two different patients, you never really know how the patient feels, or if they will be a delight, or a patient from, well, not a nice place.  The one thing that is truly amazing is, upon speaking with numerous patients, with very diverse personalities, it's very clear to see that regardless of how kind or difficult a patient may be, the nurse treats them all the same, with the best care and compassion nurses are known for. 
Patients come and go, nurses have many patients during a month.  While it's difficult to remember every patient, many patients remember the nurse that provided care for them, for the rest of their lives, they leave that great of an impact. 

Tips to Make Patients More at Ease

When admitting a patient, if they are new to hospital stays, plan to spend a little extra time explaining and answering questions.  Be sure to allow time for them to ask questions, and assure them no question is silly. This is their body, and they have a right to be nervous.  Odds are, as a nurse, you will forget the patient, and odds are, the patient will never forget you. 
 

Please follow us on Facebook, Linkedin, Pinterest  and Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As a Nursing Student, what Extracurricular Activities are Beneficial?

We already had our time to treat the immense demanding curricula a nursing school provides. Nursing students are often familiarized with it at the very beginning of their journey. Information usually being provided is strictly covering what the school curricula involve. It does not provide hints on possible courses or extracurricular activities a nurse-to-be has to follow in order to get the most of his/her studying years. A nursing student might consider going for a nurse related extracurricular activity that will be efficient in terms of time management. What might count as a productive extracurricular activity for a nursing student? o      Initiating one or more community service projects o      Job shadowing o      Volunteer   Why should one consider these extracurricular activities once he or she is studying to become a nurse? Well, first of all, nursing requires a lot of good will and dedication. It is that kind of profession you need to put all your physic

Positive and Negative of Dental Implants

Dental implants are very popular today. They are the preferred choice by many when natural teeth are missing.   Commercials make dental implants sound very simple, and as if they always work, but everyone should know the facts prior to considering implants. As a nurse, you may encounter a patient who is interested in dental implants, whether it is because of an accident or for cosmetic reasons. The Positive of Dental Implants Dental implants can, and often do work out well for someone missing teeth.   They look natural, and unlike dentures, they are permanent, and do not have to be removed nightly.    Dentures can fit improperly at times, and that is not an issue with implants.   There are some great advantages to dental implants. Related: What is Epilepsy? What are the Symptoms of Epilepsy? The Negative of Dental Implants First of all, there is really no guarantee that the implant will take, many people are, told there is a 50/50 chance.   That is a pretty costly chan

Where do Registered Nurses Work?

Registered nurses are needed far and wide, and there dispersal amongst various facilities is illuminating.   Commonly, you associate nurses with hospitals, but their expertise is needed in a plethora of environments.   An overwhelming amount of nurses, (60% to be exact) operate in hospitals.   Comparing this percentage to the mere 5% working in nursing homes, RN’s have disseminated into non-governmental and EDU positions, as well as employment facilities and doctor’s offices.    Related : 2016 INTERNATIONAL NURSES ASSOCIATION (INA) SCHOLARSHIP AWARD Visit www.nurseadvisormagazine.com for more information on nursing. R elated : Top Nurse with the International Nurses Association, Steven Eric Southerland, RN, BSN, AAS, EMT-P to Publish in the Worldwide Leaders in Healthcare Please follow us on Facebook , Linkedin , Pinterest , Twitter